Since 1989, the CdLS Foundation has been celebrating CdLS Awareness Day in order to shed light on this often misdiagnosed, little-known genetic syndrome.
The second Saturday of May is CdLS Awareness Day and there are many ways you can help individuals living with this syndrome and their families. We have compiled a list of ideas that we think might help families and friends teach acceptance, love, inclusion and support for individuals with CdLS.
- Post CdLS awareness flyers in local businesses
- Throw a barbecue for your community with family-friendly activities and resources
- Ask your local library if you can put some brochures and bookmarks on their welcome desk
- Plan a dress down day at your place of work
- Set up an awareness booth at a popular shopping area or town event
- Ask a bank or other business to put an Awareness Day message on its marquee
- Ask a favorite salon or coffee shop to donate a percentage of the day’s proceeds to the Foundation
- Promote CdLS and the Foundation on your social media page
- Hang a CdLS Foundation awareness poster on your front door
- Host a sensory friendly movie night
- Paint a rock with kind and inspiring words, add the Foundation’s website, and leave them around your community to encourage and uplift each other! Take pictures of the rocks before you plant them, and email them to Gabrielle so she can share them with the whole community.
- Record 30 second video clips about the impact of CdLS in your life. Post your video on your own social media channels and tag the Foundation.
If you have any questions regarding awareness ideas, please reach out to Gabrielle Nadeau, Communications Manager.
- Friend’s Night In: Calculate the cost of a night out with dinner and drinks for your team, then substitute it with a potluck and movie in. Use the money that would have been spent towards a donation toward CdLS
- Host a virtual walk with your friends and family
- Host a lemonade stand.
- Host a casino night with your friends and family with proceeds benefiting the CdLS Foundation.
- Ask your employer to match your donations to the CdLS Foundation.
- Host a yard sale. Spring clean and sell your items at the same time and donate earnings to the CdLS Foundation.
- Create a Facebook fundraiser
- Create an Instagram fundraiser in your stories
If you have any questions regarding fundraising ideas, please reach out to Annette Scheidecker, Development Director.