Tube Feeding (caloric intake)

My 4 month old daughter is fed through a g-tube that is controlled by a feeding pump. How do I calculate her formula increase as she gains weight? She is currently between 8.5 and 9 pounds and is 20 inches long.

For a child under age 2, there are a lot of considerations taken into account when changing a tube fed formula or increasing a feeding rate.  A registered dietitian or pediatric gastroenterologist would be the best person to actually make the recommendation of a  rate change.  They would take into consideration presence of GERDS (too high a rate can potentially increase reflux), child’s rate of current growth, child’s placement on the growth curve, catch up growth needed, and formula specific information such as is the formula at full strength, is it calorically still appropriate, is it well tolerated at the current rate, would the child be getting adequate water if the rate was increased, etc.  We realize a parent is anxious to continue to see weight gain but for the best result please discuss your concern and ask for a recommendation from one of the health professionals mentioned above.

DP/TK 7-13-10

Legal Disclaimer:  Please take note that the CdLS Foundation’s Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Response times may vary and a response is not guaranteed. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Answer Published On: October 18th, 2018 1:18 PM