I just found out that my four-year-old son has malrotation. He had an X-ray done that showed malrotation. What should we do next?

If malrotation has been identified by an upper GI study, then your son will need to be referred to a surgeon to be evaluated for a procedure to correct the malrotation and place the bowel into a safe position that will make it much less likely to twist around (volvulus). This is called a Ladd’s procedure. I would start by contacting the physician who ordered the study. Any pediatric surgeon should be able to do the procedure, but you will want to make sure that it is done at a children’s hospital with pediatric anesthesia.

KL/TK 7-13-10

Legal Disclaimer:  Please take note that the CdLS Foundation’s Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Response times may vary and a response is not guaranteed. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Answer Published On: October 19th, 2018 2:34 PM