G-tube Inflamation

We are having difficulty with the area around the G-tube. Despite the application of different creams, antibiotics, keeping it dry…it is chronically inflamed. It had to be changed once already and the doctors are saying they won’t put another one in. What do you suggest?

I would go back to the surgeon who put in the g-tube to have it looked at. There are many reasons for red G-tube sites and the child should be seen by doctor to evaluate the g-tube site and course of treatment. Some hospitals use a stomal therapist for the difficult cases.

CP/TK 7-13-10

Legal Disclaimer:  Please take note that the CdLS Foundation’s Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Response times may vary and a response is not guaranteed. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Answer Published On: October 18th, 2018 7:47 PM